Home | Contact Us

Building Inspector

>Stormwater Management

The Town has adopted the 2012 International Building, Residential Building, Plumbing, Mechanical, Gas, Existing Building, and Property Maintenance Codes as well as 2009 International Energy Conservation Code. The building inspector is a part time employee and can be reached at cell phone 612-8119.

Permits are required for new construction including storage building, garages, patios, decks, fences over 7' high, retaining walls over 4' high measured from the bottom of the footer to the top of the wall and swimming pools (includes spas and hot tubs) and for remodeling including additions, re-roofs, siding, replacement windows, as well plumbing, gas, and/or mechanical for new or changed systems. Permits are also required for driveways and curb cuts, demolition and any time the footprint of the structure is being changed. Items listed below do not require permits (call if you are unsure)--most other items do.

Permits Not Required For:

  • Building
    One story detached accessory structures used as playhouses and similar uses, provided the floor area does not exceed 120 square feet; however, these are required to be in the rear or side yard and to be 10 feet off the rear and side property line.
    • Fences not over 7 feet high
    • Retaining walls that are not over 4 feet in height measured from the bottom of the footing to the top of the wall
    • Water tanks supported directly upon grade if the capacity does not exceed 5,000 gallons and the ratio of height to diameter does not exceed 2 to 1
    • Sidewalks
    • Painting, papering, tiling, carpeting, cabinets, countertops and similar finish work Prefabricated swimming pools that are less than 24 inches deep
      Swings and other playground equipment
      Window awnings supported by an exterior wall which do not project more than 54 inches from the exterior wall and do not require additional support
  • Gas
    • Portable heating, cooking or clothes drying equipment
    • Replacement of any minor part that does not alter approval of equipment or make such equipment unsafe
    • Portable-fuel-cell appliances that are not connected to a fixed piping system and are not interconnected to a power grid

  • Mechanical
    • Portable heating or ventilation appliances
    • Portable cooling units
    • Steam, hot or chilled water piping within any regulated heating or cooling equipment
    • Replacement of any minor part that does not alter or make equipment unsafe
    • Portable evaporative coolers
    • Self-contained refrigeration systems containing 10 pounds or less of refrigerant or that are actuated by motors of 1 horsepower or less
    • Portable-fuel-cell appliances that are not connected to a fixed piping system and are not interconnected to a power grid

  • Plumbing
    • The stopping of leaks in drains, water, soil, waste or vent pipe; provided however, that if any concealed trap, drainpipe, water, soil, waste or vent pipe becomes defective and it becomes necessary to remove and replace the same with new material, such work shall be considered as new work and a permit shall be obtained
    • The clearing of stoppages or the repairing of leaks in pipes, valves or fixtures, and the removal and reinstallation of water closets (commodes), provided such repairs do not involve or require the replacement or rearrangement of valves, pipes or fixtures

  • Emergency Repairs
    • Where repair is necessary and the office is closed, the repair may be made and the permit obtained the next business day--when inspection is required, leave uncovered until inspected

Stormwater Management

The Town is part of the urbanized area of Kingsport as designated by the Federal government. As such, we are a regulated stormwater community (technically known as a Small Municipal Separate Storm Sewer System-MS4). The MS4 program is administered by the Tennessee Department of Environment and Conservation (TDEC). The MS4 designation resulted in the Town having to adopt procedures for managing stormwater. Yes, we must manage rain and snow melt once it is on the ground.

The stormwater program is governed by Chapter 16, Title 14, of the Municipal Code.
Read the Code of Ordinances for Mount Carmel

One focus of the regulation is requiring stormwater permits. If an area of an acre or more is being cleared/graded/ground cover disturbed or if the area is less than an acre but part of a larger common development, two stormwater permits are required for all projects other than agriculture (logging is considered to be agriculture). One must be obtained from TDEC IAW their rules and another from the Town IAW Chapter 16, Title 14 of the Municipal Code. The Town will not issue a permit until a copy of the TDEC permit is received. A grading permit which is required for all sites will not be issued until both stormwater permits are issued.

Citizen input is invited. You may call the stormwater manager, Vince Pishner, at (423) 612­8119 or call for an appointment. He will meet you at the problem area or in his office. Specific areas you may want to address are mud, silt, debris or other pollutants coming off construction sites, soap suds on the ground or in ditches, oil or other pollutants in waterways, or other dirty water concerns.

Citizens are especially asked to report any illicit discharges to Vince or the City Hall. Illicit discharges are liquids other than rain water or snow melt getting on/in the ground. Illicit discharges are liquids such as straight line septic systems, bath tub or washing machines waste water by passing the septic or sanitary sewer, used oil, or similar discharges unless specifically exempt. We also need to know about illegal dumping. If you think it is wrong, report it and we will check it out. Anonymous reports are investigated.

We also welcome your stormwater comments/ideas. Please call Vince or attend and speak your concerns/ideas at the visitor comment section of Planning Commission and Board of Mayor and Aldermen meetings. We also put information on this site when a developer's stormwater plan is being considered by the Planning Commission. Time permitting; we also have a meeting for consideration of citizen concerns prior to submitting the plans to the Planning Commission. If you have heard about a development and have concerns about changes to water flows, please let us know. Once the plans are approved and work begins, it is difficult to make changes.



Hours of Operation:
Monday - Friday
8:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.
Closed on major holidays

Contact Information:
Vince Pishner
(423) 612-8119 Phone

Mailing Address:
PO Box 1421
Mount Carmel, TN 37645















100 Main Street East, Mount Carmel, TN 37645 | (423) 357-7710 Fax | (423) 357-7311 Phone
Local Government Corporation | Email the Webmaster